Applying for a TFN
A Tax File Number (TFN) is free and identifies you for tax and superannuation purposes. It’s yours for life. You keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas. If your details change, you need to let the ATO know.
How you apply for a TFN depends on your circumstances. Choose from one of the following to find out about the application options for:
- Australian citizens with an Australian passport – for people who are 15 years old or older.
- Australian residents and Australian citizens without an Australian passport.
- Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – you need to already be living in Australia and will need a valid foreign passport or travel document (visa).
- People living outside Australia – for non-residents of Australia for tax purposes with Australian sourced income. You need a TFN to claim a refund of tax withheld.
You should receive your TFN within 28 days after we receive your completed application and required documents. Though some application channels may see you receive your TFN much sooner.
If you haven’t received your TFN after 28 days, contact the ATO.
Keeping your details safe
Make sure you protect your identity by keeping all your personal details secure, including your TFN. Someone only needs basic details such as your name, date of birth, address, myGov details, or TFN to commit identity fraud.
There are only a few people and places that can ask for your TFN, including:
- the ATO
- your bank or financial institution
- your employer after you start a job
- your super fund
- your registered tax agent.
Keep your TFN private. You should not share it with anyone not listed above.
If you have questions in relation to the above, or any other matters, please do not hesitate to contact our office on 1300 620 345.