10 Interesting Facts about Australia
- The Australian Alps get more snow than the Swiss Alps. They straddle NSW and Victoria with Perisher being the largest ski resort in the southern hemisphere.
- 90% of Australians lives on the coast.
- Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world. The air is as clean as Antarctica. Around 1/3 of the state is national park or World Heritage protected.
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest eco-system in the world. It is made up of nearly 2,500 individual reefs and is visible from space.
- Australia has over 60 separate wine regions.
- K’gari (Fraser Island) is the largest sand island in the world.
- The Indian Pacific train has the longest straight section of train track in the world. This section occurs across the Nullabor Plain.
- The Great Ocean Road is the world’s largest war memorial. Built by returning soldiers after World War 1, the road was dedicated as a memorial to those who died fighting.
- 80% of the animals are unique to Australia.
- 5km of Uluru is believed to be underground. It is listed twice as a UNESCO World Heritage site, once on the cultural list and once on the natural list.
We live in an amazing part of the world.